Breakfast in a low-carb life can be super fun to begin with, until the ideas start to run thin! After trying eggs in every way possible, my taste buds were tingling for something slightly sweeter in the mornings. I created this "Low-Carb Bircher" as an alternative to muesli and have been enjoying the fact that I can prep it the night before to save time in the morning! On my particularly rushed mornings, I have been taking it with me to work as it travels well in a container and can be eaten "on-the-go" if needed!
How to make the muesli:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
2. In a bowl, combine the following ingredients:
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 cups mixed nuts (brazils/ macadamias/ almonds/ cashews/ walnuts/ pecans- whatever you have!)
- 1 1/2 cups coconut- I prefer the chips and shredded types as they are chunkier so carry a bit more flavour!
3. Pour the nut mixture into an oven-proof dish/ tray and bake for 10 minutes. Toss them during this time.
4. Add the following ingredients to the mixture:
- 1/2 cup seeds (pumpkin/ sesame/ sunflower etc.)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
5. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and leave to cool before storing in air tight containers.
How to make the bircher:
1. Combine 1/4 cup "low carb muesli" with 1 cup yoghurt, 1 Tbsp chia seeds, 1/2 grated apple.
2. Store in the fridge covered or in an air tight container. OR- eat it straight away!
NB: Feel free to adjust the amount of moisture by using less/ more yoghurt- as desired.